Welcome to Year 1!
Miss Fisher - 1F
Miss Rowe - 1R
Year 1 News
We hope you had a relaxing half term break. We are looking forward to seeing you again to start our exciting Autumn 2 topic, Toytastic! Below you can find out more about what we will be learning in different subjects
We will post updates and information here, and important messages will be communicated via the app so please make sure you are checking there regularly. Please don't hesitate to contact your teacher either in person or via email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions
Photos are added to the Gallery section of the website so you can have a look at some of our learning!
To introduce our new topic we are having a Toy Day on Friday 3rd November. Children are invited to come to school dressed as a toy and to bring a favourite toy into school. The outfit can be something simple like a teddy bear or a doll. Please ensure toys are not expensive or with small parts that may be lost or damaged. It is also preferable that the toy does not require batteries or a mains plug.
Children's reading books will now be changed each Thursday. Children will bring home a library book, levelled reading book, a Monster Phonics book and a home reader. These books aim to address different reading targets such as decoding, comprehension skills and developing a love of reading. Please ensure your child has their reading books and record in their bookbags every day as your child will be having their Guided Reading session reading with a teacher between Monday-Thursday. Please sign and comment in their reading records whenever they read at home as this will help us to monitor children's progress. If you do not have a yellow reading record please ask in the office for a new one.
In Autumn 2 children will continue to have their indoor PE lesson on a Tuesday and their outdoor PE lesson with Mr Dixon on a Friday. Please ensure your child comes into school wearing the correct PE kit on these days. Navy or black shorts/leggings/joggers, white or house colour T-shirt and a black or navy sweatshirt.
Supporting Learning at Home
To support the transition from EYFS to Year 1 we sent home the end of year objectives for Year 1 so you are familiar with the targets your child is working towards this year. Please let us know if there is any more information or resources you would like for home. There is some information below on what we are learning in different subjects if you would like to work on any of these areas at home. There are also links at the bottom of the page to games/websites/activities at home.
What are we learning in Autumn 2?
We are excited to start our new topic - Toytastic! where we will be learning all about the history of toys, reading some stories about toys and even making our own toys!
- English: We will continue to focus on core writing skills - capital letters, finger spaces and full stops, and we will be recapping each letter family to encourage correct letter formation. We will be reading the books 'Lost in the Toy Museum' and 'Traction Man', and using these stories to write simple sentences, Lost posters, a news report and thinking of our own stories.
- Phonics: We are following the Monster Phonics scheme through daily Phonics lessons. This half term we will continue to consolidate Phase 3 graphemes while also introducing some Phase 5. We will also be looking at suffixes ed/ing/er/est, and learning the spelling of common exception words and high frequency words:
- Maths: We will be consolidating our understanding of addition and subtraction to 10 - including number bonds to 10, fact families and part whole models. We will also look at recognising and naming 2D and 3D shapes. We will continue to focus on forming numbers to 10 correctly. We follow the Mastering Number scheme to support our fluency skills.
- Science: Our focus is on materials. We will be looking at naming and identifying materials, and describing their properties. We will be conducting an experiment to find the best material for an umbrella, and the best clothes for Traction Man. We will also be continuing our learning about seasonal change, looking at how autumn changes into winter.
- Geography: We will continue with fieldwork looking at the grounds of our school and local area, including identifying human and physical features, looking at aerial photographs and devising a simple map.
- History: Our focus question is 'How are the toys I play with now different to those from 100 years ago?'. We will be looking at popular toys in different decades and how toys have changed. We will look at Teddy Roosevelt as an influential person in the development of the teddy bear.
- Art: We will be focusing on artist Andy Warhol and his artwork. We will be sketching toys and creating pop art with wax crayons and brusho paint. We will also be drawing and painting cats using his work as inspiration.
- PE: In our indoor PE sessions we will be focusing on Fitness, including mastering basic movements including running, jumping and throwing. Develop balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities. In our outdoor PE sessions with Mr Dixon we will be focusing on Sending and Receiving, including catching, rolling, tracking and stopping a ball, working individually, in pairs and in small groups.
- PSHE: We will continue to look at feelings and emotions, and will have a focus on friendships and kindness during Anti-Bullying Week. We will look at keeping safe and healthy including hygiene and hand washing. Every two weeks we will have a Circle Time to share our current thoughts and feelings.
- RE: Our big RE question this half term is 'What makes some places sacred?'
- Computing: Our focus is on using text based programs to process and format text and images. We will also continue to work on digital literacy and understanding why it is important to have passwords and stay safe online.
Hooray for the Heatons