Welcome to Year 1!
Miss Fisher - 1F
Miss Rowe - 1R
Year 1 News
We will post any updates and information here. Important messages will be communicated via the app so please make sure you are checking there regularly.
Photos are added to the Gallery section of the website regularly so you can have a look at some of our learning!
We are looking forward to a fantastic year with you all
Children's reading books will be changed each Monday. Library books and Home Readers will also be changed each Monday. Please ensure your child has all of these books in their bookbags every Monday. Your child could be asked to read to an adult at any point during the week. Please ensure they have their reading books and reading record with them every day. Please sign and comment in their reading records whenever they read at home. This will help us to monitor how often the children are reading.
Year 1 will now have Gymnastics lessons on a Monday, and their usual lessons with Mr Dixon on a Thursday, so please come to school in PE kit on both of these days. They no longer need to wear PE kit on a Wednesday. Please ensure your child is wearing the correct PE kit. Navy or black shorts/leggings/joggers, white or house colour T-shirt and a black or navy sweatshirt.
What are we learning?
This half term we are excited to start our new topic - Toytastic! Below is some more information about what we are covering in each subject this half term.
- English: Writing simple sentences using capital letters, finger spaces and full stops. Thinking of our own endings to familiar stories. Sequencing and retelling stories. Forming letters correctly.
- Phonics: We will be learning to read and write words containing: ee, ea, er, ir, ur, oo, oa, oe, ou, ow. Reading and spelling common exception words and high frequency words. Adding suffixes ed, ing, er and est.
- Maths: Forming numbers correctly. Continuing with addition (within 10) and introducing subtraction to 10. Fact families and number bonds. Using a number line. Shape.
- Science: Materials - Learning about different materials and their properties. Conducting investigations to find the most suitable material for different purposes. Seasonal change - Autumn to Winter.
- History: The history of toys - comparing old toys to new toys, how have toys changed over time? Research and interview skills, using secondary sources. Chronological order.
- Art & DT: Work inspired by artist Andy Warhol. Pop Art, mixing secondary colours, sketching toys, creating our own toy themed prints. Designing, making and evaluating our own toy that has a working slider or lever.
- RE: Our big question this half term is 'What makes some places sacred?'
- PSHE: Recognising feelings, friendship skills, anti-bullying week, safety around the home.
- PE: Outdoor games with Mr Dixon, introduction to Gymnastics.
- Computing: Producing Digital Media, using Word, online safety.
Hooray for the Heatons