Welcome to Year 1!
Miss Fisher - 1F
Miss Rowe - 1R
Year 1 News
We will post any updates and information here. Important messages will be communicated via the app so please make sure you are checking there regularly.
Photos are added to the Gallery section of the website so you can have a look at some of our learning!
We hope you enjoyed a relaxing break in the sunshine! We are looking forward to getting back to school to start our final half term together in Year 1 with our exciting new topic Happy Holidays!
Children's reading books will be changed each Monday. Children will bring home a library book and 2 reading books. Please ensure your child has their reading books and record in their bookbags every day as your child could be asked to read to an adult at any point during the week. Please sign and comment in their reading records whenever they read at home. This will help us to monitor how often the children are reading.
In Summer 2 we will go back to having our indoor PE lessons on a Wednesday and our outdoor lessons with Mr Dixon on a Thursday. Please ensure your child is wearing the correct PE kit. Navy or black shorts/leggings/joggers, white or house colour T-shirt and a black or navy sweatshirt.
Phonics Screening Check
The Phonics screening check will take place the first week back on Thursday 15th and Friday 16th June. Children will read a list of 40 words, a combination of real and 'alien' words which rely on using Phonics to decode. The check will take place one-to-one with the class teacher. Thank you for your support with this at home.
What are we learning?
We are excited to start our new summer topic - Happy Holidays! Below is some more information about what we are covering in each subject this half term.
- English: We will be consolidating the grammar we have learned this year including plurals -s and -es, adding suffixes -ed and -ing, and contractions. We will be ensuring our letters are correctly formed in handwriting. We will be learning about poetry and writing our own acrostic and rhyming seaside poems. We will be reading 'The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch' and writing diary entries.
- Phonics: We will be reading and spelling common exception words and high frequency words. Revision sounds: or, ore, aw, au, air, ear, are, wh, ph. 2-syllable words and compound words and spelling days, numbers, months and colours.
- Maths: We will be following the Mastering Number program to consolidate our number fluency skills. We will be covering place value with numbers to 100. We will be introducing money and time.
- Science: We will continue our learning on seasonal change and looking at the season of summer. We will be observing and describing the weather.
- Geography: We will be looking at human and physical features of the coastline for our seaside topic.
- History: We will be looking at the history of the seaside back to Victorian times and comparing holidays in the past to holidays in the present - Looking at entertainment, travel, clothes and food.
- Art: We will be making clay shell sculptures and adding texture and paint. We are studying seaside artist Joanna Wishart and making our own paintings.
- RE: Our big question this half term is 'How should we care for others and the world, and why does it matter?'
- PSHE: Our focus is on sun and water safety. We will be looking at emotions and transitioning to Year 2.
- PE: Outdoor games with Mr Dixon and Yoga indoors.
- Computing: We will be presenting media - Producing, editing and publishing media.
Hooray for the Heatons