Year 2 2022 - 2023
Mrs Gibson and Mrs Johnson
Miss Chambers and Mrs Littlewood
Welcome to Year 2
We are looking forward to a fantastic year with you all. We will post information on here and send out messages via the app. Please do not hesitate to contact your child’s class teacher for any additional information.
2G will have PE on Tuesday and Thursday.
2CL will have PE on Monday and Friday.
Children should come to school wearing their PE kit. Please ensure your child is wearing: navy or black shorts/leggings/joggers, white or house colour T-shirt and a black or navy sweatshirt.
Children's reading books will be changed each week. Your child could be asked to read to an adult at any point during the week. Please ensure they have their reading books and reading record with them every day. Please sign and comment in their reading records whenever they read at home as this will help us to monitor how often the children are reading.
What are we learning?
Happy New Year! We are looking forward to starting to our new topic ‘Fire! Fire!’ Below is some more information about what we are covering in each subject this half term.
- English: We will be writing our own newspaper reports of the Great Fire of London. We will also be writing a diary entry as if we are Samuel Pepys.
- Spelling: Consonant suffixes, contractions, possessive apostrophes. Reading and spelling year 2 common exception words and high frequency words.
- Maths: Division, word problems involving division. Money, word problems involving money.
- Science: Identifying and comparing the suitability of a variety of everyday materials, including wood, metal, plastic, glass, brick, rock, paper and cardboard for different uses.
- History: We will be learning about the events of the Great Fire of London.
- Art: Great Fire of London fire paintings and silhouettes.
- RE: Our big question this half term is ‘Who is Jewish and what do they believe?’
- PSHE: Ways to keep safe, fire safety and health and well-being.
- PE: Outdoor games with Mr Dixon. Indoor PE: Dance.
Our Year 2 Topics:
How does your garden grow?
The Queen's Handbag